Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Power of Dance

This will be my second to last blog before the walk. I will try to write tomorrow night, but it may be short because I need to be well-rested. I have to leave my house by 4Am on Friday. Once the walk starts, be sure to check Tracy's blog for updates.

I'm sure you are all wondering about my tooth. Well, I am fine. I got up early to call the dentist, which doesn't open until 10:00 on Wednesday; I had no idea. Dr. Balboa was able to squeeze me in at 11:45. When I arrived, they did an x-ray and didn't see anything. He did say that I may be brushing too hard and told me to use Sensodyne toothpaste. He also suggested that I bring some Advil on my walk in case it is something else. Great--one more issue to be concerned about. Seriously though, it seems to be feeling better.

As I said in my last post, my dentist is in Newton. Being out that way I decided to swing by Bentley to see if I could see camp. I am still obsessed with finding out where camp is. I drove through my old stomping grounds--I used to work at Waltham High--but I didn't see a thing as I rode by Bentley. I was stunned. I really thought that camp was there. I know for a fact that it is some place in the 02452 zip code of Waltham, so I started driving around. I didn't see anything. I thought maybe Brandeis, but that is 02453. Anyone have any ideas? It has to be some place where we can go inside in case we have inclement weather, which is not going to happen this year. I am willing it not to. My husband says to get over it. I guess I will just have to wait until Friday like everyone else.

I don't think everyone is doing the weather dance that I have asked of you. Friday looks yucky. I am not looking forward to walking through puddles. That is the worst. My plan is to bring two extra pairs of socks on the first day. If it does rain, Tracy and I will look cute in our matching windbreakers. Yes, I found out when I went to her house the other day, that our jackets match. Talk about a cohesive team.

Early this evening was spent finishing t-shirts for the weekend. Then I sat down to watch So You Think You Can Dance? It is my favorite TV show. I danced for many years, and I live vicariously through these dancers. Tonight I watched a performance like I have never seen before. It brought me to tears. I can't help but write about it. Melissa and Ade, two of my favorites, danced a contemporary routine about a woman battling breast cancer. Melissa is an exquisite ballerina and the oldest contestant on the show--I feel she just has a maturity and elegance about her. Ade is a hulking man who just exudes strength. When the performance started, Melissa was on stage with a gorgeous silk scarf on her head in shades of blue and purple. She looked absolutely stunning. Seeing her reminded me of that year in my life when the bolder the scarf the better. They danced the routine beautifully, Melissa trusting Ade as she leaped into his arms, feeding off of his strength. At one point she began beating on his chest which made me recall many nights when I felt like doing just that. It was so emotional that I called Andy in from the other room to watch it again. I don't think I have ever been moved so much by a piece of artistry. The raw emotions that I could feel were ones that I have not felt in some time. I hope that you take the time to watch it, because it is truly amazing. It was another indicator that I should continue to fight to find a cure for breast cancer. It lifted me up, and inspired me. It gave me the strength to walk my sixty miles.

Ta-Ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment