Saturday, January 2, 2010

200 Days and Counting!!!

First of all, Happy New Year to everyone!

As I sit here listening to the wind and watching the white stuff pile up outside my window, it is hard to believe I am writing my first blog about yet another 3Day adventure. Yes, exactly 200 days from today I will again be walking 60 miles for breast cancer. The crazy thing is that I am not really surprised that I am doing it--the walk that is. I am still shocked that I am actually writing a post. It has been a long time, and I have missed it.

Since the walk ended, life has pretty much continued without incident. The kids went back to school, I went back to work, PTA started up again, and I became the ever-efficient taxi-driver, shuttling my cherubs to their various activities. The positive thing about the walk being moved back to July this past year was that I had some down time before school started. We were able to go to a friend's lake house in Maine, we hosted our niece Ali, from Amherst, for her annual summer visit, and we took several day trips to York Zoo, Halibut Point in Rockport, the beach, and one of my favorites, the American Girl Store.

Starting in early fall, Patty, my neighbor and fellow survivor, and I began walking together. Patty was my friend who met me at the finish line last year.
Well, after seeing the 3Day in person, Patty decided that she was going to do it this year--finally a friend in the survivor circle with me! Patty's sister-in-law, Cheryl, who also coached baseball with Andy, is also walking with us. Just recently Patty's friend, Vicky, has also joined the ranks. So far we are four, but we could be many more. I am still hoping that Tracy will join me again. We'll have to wait and see.

With the majority of the team not being teachers, we had to change our name. As sad as I was to leave Teachers for Ta-Ta's behind (Tracy made quite an impression with all of those signs), we were happy to go back to the name of Tough Warrior Princesses which was the name of my team the first year I did the walk. When I was first diagnosed, a friend gave me a t-shirt that simply said, "tough warrior princess." The definition of a warrior princess is: "a strong female personality, determined in pursuit of her goals and often eager to take on typical 'man's work' like fighting wars or performing manual labor to accomplish those goals--when of a royal background, a woman warrior may be called a warrior princess." I think that sums it up pretty well.

So here we are, Tough Warrior Princesses, ready to do battle with a dreadful disease. The four of us will be meeting soon to take a team photo, share ideas, and discuss fund raising. I'll be sure to update you on our progress. In the mean time, if you care to donate, just click on the link on the side of this post. It will bring you directly to my 3Day page.

Thank you all for sharing in another 3Day journey!

Royally yours,
Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment