Thursday, August 1, 2013

2013 Crew Day--Boston

Here we are.  The final Boston 3-Day.  I really hope that it is not canceled for long.  I have my fingers crossed that some time in the near future, it will return.  Each year I say that the 3-Day is different, and it always is--new people, new experiences.  Well, not only was this year going to be different, it was going to be difficult.  We were missing Maurine and Bridget.  As you read on over the next few days, you will see that while Mo and B were not directly by our sides, they were sitting right over our shoulders along side Emma.  I believe that their spirit made this year's 3-Day the most special yet.  

This year's 3-Day was actually a bit like a 4-Day because where Maddie and Mia were participating in the Youth Corps, they needed to attend Crew Day.  We left our house on a cool overcast Thursday around 10:30AM to pick up the Turcotte boys.  Tyler was participating in YC with the girls, and Dylan was a flagbearer. We arrived in Framingham to even cooler temperatures--low 60's.  It was almost raw out.  I was concerned that the girls would be miserable, especially Mia.  She hates the cold.  After checking in, and bundling up, they were off.  Andy and I were left standing there, free for the afternoon.  It felt a bit like dropping my children off at preschool for the first time, anxious and nervous that they might coming running back to me at any moment.  

I don't want want to say that I am a 3-Day packing expert, although I have led the packing demonstration at some 3-Day Expos, but after having done the event 7 times, I have a pretty good idea what to pack.  The forecast had predicted "showers" for Friday morning (boy did they get THAT wrong!) and increasing humidity throughout the weekend.  They did not predict it to be FREEZING cold.  My girls only had light sweatshirts and one pair of capris.  They were already wearing both of them, and the 3-Day hadn't even started.  I used that as an excuse to go shopping.  Heck, we were in Natick--the shopping center of the universe! Everything had changed so much since we moved out of Boston 11 years ago.  Andy and I took this opportunity to explore and enjoy each others company.  While it is difficult to find long sleeve shirts in July, we were successful, returning to camp with 2 pair of leggings, a long sleeve t-shirt and a hoodie.  I knew that at the very least, my girls would be warm. 

We returned to Crew Day just in time to see the girls rehearsing for their speeches.  You'll hear more about that later.  At this point, it was pouring.  After they finished, we piled into the car and headed over to Newton for the YC Alumni cookout.  David Bechhofer started the YC ten years ago in Boston.  It has since become a national program and is run at every 3-Day event.  There is also a YC on the Avon walk.  Dave was kind enough to open his home and invite all previous and current YC members to enjoy a BBQ.  While the weather wasn't the best, it was uplifting to see so many young men and women motivated to make a difference.  When I looked at the alumni, some of whom were in their early 20's, I hoped that my girls had made the right decision to join YC. These kids seemed so confident and full of self-esteem.  My babies were just a mere 11 years old.   As we drove back to the hotel, I asked the girls if they had a good time.  They said it was awesome, and they couldn't wait for tomorrow.  I couldn't have been happier.  As a parent, we think we know our kids and what is best for them.  In this case, I was right. 
2013 Boston Youth Corps on Crew Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment